Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Hannelie Coetzee: Quartz Line & Joburg Walkabout

Hannelie Coetzee made a “Quartz Line Drawing” on Lookout Point, Plettenberg Bay, during the 2013 Site_Specific Land Art Biennale. It was about 100m2. Reney Warrington made a beautiful video of the process.



"The quartz lines run parallel to the ocean, emerging and disappearing at the landscapes mercy. I was drawn to where the earth swallows it. I attempted to re-connect the same line as it surfaces on the other side. Connecting the lines with clay gave me the time to think strategically about my practice  I was drawing a mind map, following nature’s logic rather than my own. I was learning from nature. The mind map will be applied in my GIBS SECP studies connecting networks to roll out collaborative future projects The painted lines became part of the landscape as soon as the first drizzle dissolved it. One could easily walk by and wonder if it was an artwork at all. When I have the opportunity to listen to nature at length I am reminded of the fact that we think we know better. People often ask me if it is therapeutic. It is not. It’s a vivid reality check that we have to re-learn how to use our intellect. We have the capacity to solve the problems we have caused. When I make a site specific artwork, I take time to strategize other functional and/or collaborative artworks that addresses environmental issues."
- Hannelie Coetzee




Walkabout with Hannelie Coetzee during the Joburg Art Fair


Hannelie will conduct two Walkabouts around the Maboneng Neighbourhood during the Joburg Art Fair weekend:

  • 4pm on Friday the 27th September
  • 4pm on Saturday the 28th September

You will leave from her Fox Street mural (between Kruger and Berea) which will be completed during these two days. If you want to join, RSVP as soon as possible to hannelie@hanneliecoetzee.co.za. The walkabouts are free, but you are encouraged to donate funds which will go towards research for new artworks. Hannelie's current or planned work include a functional environmental land art project based on filtering acid mine drainage contaminated water. (Find out more)

No comments:

Post a Comment